Open Call for “From my window…and other places” Focused Inquiry Group

The Teaching and Learning Center and the Center for Humanities invite members of the Graduate Center community to participate in an ongoing visual and textual sense-making project to document and reflect collectively upon this unprecedented moment. “From my window…and other places” is a space for expression, connection, and reflection to elaborate the social, psychological, political transformations we are all facing as educators and students in 2020 and beyond. To read more about the project, see https://tlc.commons.gc.cuny.edu/2020/11/10/open-call-from-my-window-and-other-places/.

To apply for membership in the Focused Inquiry Group, read the following instructions:

“From my window…and other places” seeks 5 graduate student participants who are interested in thinking through the experiences we have shared over the last several months and on the time to come, making sense of them from different perspectives.

In practical terms, we will schedule two or three meetings in which the participants will be introduced to each other and have a space to connect. The participants will also enjoy two hands-on, arts-based workshops designed to engage both your body and other senses in a memory-imaginative process. The intention of these meetings is to help participants get in touch with their reflections on our moment and explore other modes of expressions, while we also learn and document this process.

Selection Process and Expectations
We will select five Graduate Center students. We will be looking for interdisciplinarity and willingness to engage with the prompts and ideals of this project. Abilities to use different languages and mediums such as create videos, or websites are welcome, but not necessary.

Selected participants will receive an honorarium of $300, and in addition, they will have the chance to work with a community of fellow instructors and produce a final product of their choice. The final artifact may be individual, a small group project, or one collective final artifact.

To Apply
Interested applicants should email the following materials as a single PDF to tlc@gc.cuny.edu by November 25, 2020 under the subject heading: “From My Window FIG.”

• using the prompt “From my window, I have learned …” produce an artistic artifact and a reflective writing from 250-500 exploring your ideas about it.
  • a brief 2-page CV that includes your program, year, teaching experience

Please direct any questions about this project to TLC Fellow Fernanda Blanco Vidal: fblancovidal@gradcenter.cuny.edu.