Job Title: College Assistant
Location: Central Office – Office of Academic Affairs
Full/Part Time: Part-Time
With generous support from the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, the City University of New York (CUNY) has established a new program – Transformative Learning in the Humanities (TLH) – to focus on the transformation of the humanities classroom through innovative pedagogy. Specifically, TLH seeks to address shortcomings of traditional humanities teaching models and promote the democratization of the humanities classroom through active and participatory learning. This transformative model will prepare humanities students for a world that requires collaboration, written and spoken communication, project management, critical thinking, analytical reading, cross-cultural thinking, and ideation. TLH is one of the signature programs of the CUNY Innovative Teaching Academy.
Based in the CUNY Office of Academic Affairs and reporting to the Research Associate of TLH, the College Assistant will join an institution with strong support for teaching and will be part of an enthusiastic and collaborative community of faculty members and staff working together to educate and equip the next generation of students and scholars. The College Assistant will assist the TLH Research Associate with a wide variety of activities related to the TLH program and the CUNY Innovative Teaching Academy.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Assist in identifying and keeping track of academic conferences, calls for papers, and other opportunities relevant to the TLH and CUNY Innovative Teaching Academy missions.
- Assist in the organization, editing, and proofreading of slide presentations and publications about TLH and the CUNY Innovative Teaching Academy.
- Manage multiple projects and deadlines in a dynamic work environment.
- Maintain orderly and comprehensive physical and digital files.
- Understand organizational policies and procedures necessary.
- Other tasks as assigned.
One year of relevant experience required. At least 2 years of college preferred.
The ideal candidate will possess the following experience, knowledge, skills, abilities, training or certifications:
- Experience working in higher education, especially within CUNY
- Interest in higher education administration, teaching and pedagogy
- Experience conducting literature reviews in higher education and the humanities or a humanities-adjacent field
- Experience working collaboratively in diverse and interdisciplinary environments
- Experience working with and commitment to diverse communities
- Experience working with and supporting underserved student populations
- Computer proficiency using MS Office, Microsoft Teams, Outlook, PowerPoint, Google Drive and Google Docs, Excel, web-based tools/programs and digital or social media applications
- The ideal candidate will have an interest in innovative teaching and pedagogy, especially as they relate to the humanities.
$20 – $25 per hour, commensurate with education and experience.
HOW TO APPLY
For full consideration, submit a cover letter and CV/resume to TLH@cuny.edu.
Open until filled; the review of resumes will begin January 24, 2022.
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: College Assistant
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.